Saturday 3 October 2015

Chocolate Nut and Raisin Bar




This is one of the most simple cake recipes that I have ever come across. But the results are amazing. I remember baking this cake as a child. Cooking fascinated me from a very young age and this was one of my early experiments. I used to bake this cake along with my sister on almost every occasion. The encouragement and appreciation that I got as a child pushed me further into the array of cooking.
This cake uses minimum ingredients which are usually available in every household. Nothing in this cake can ever go wrong. It is the simplicity of the ingredients that make this cake stand apart. It can be enjoyed at tea time or can use some chocolate frosting. I like to eat it plain only and so does my 2 year old daughter.

Ingredients:

3 eggs
1 ½ cup maida less 1 tbsp maida
1 ¼ cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp cocoa powder
¼  cup chopped walnuts or almonds
¼ cup raisins

Method:

1.       Combine both walnuts/almonds and raisins in a bowl. Sprinkle 1 tbsp maida over them. Mix well and keep aside.
2.       Beat butter and sugar in a big bowl. Beat till light and fluffy.
3.       Now add the eggs one by one and keep beating. The mixture should be nice and airy.
4.       Sift maida, cocoa powder and baking powder.
5.       Add the maida mixture gradually to the butter-sugar-egg mixture, mixing well after each addition.
6.       Now add vanilla essence. Beat well till smooth and light.
7.       Add the nut and raisin mixture and fold gently.
8.       Pour the mixture in a greased and dusted tin.
9.       Place it into a pre-heated oven for 45 minutes at 180*C.
10.   Check by inserting a knife or toothpick. It should come clean.
11.   Serve plain or with frosting.




No comments:

Post a Comment